Summer has arrived, we were all looking forward to this moment, because it is warmer and more comfortable outside, which means that the time for light and open shoes has finally arrived. But what to do if you are embarrassed to take off your feet for reasons associated with one of the most common and uncomfortable diseases?toenail fungus.
In this article, we will try to inform you as easily and quickly as possible abouthow to deal withthis ailment and how to get rid of it as efficiently and painlessly as possible.
Toenail fungus. Treatment and causes of the disease
First, let's see what nail fungus is. This is a living organism that needs nutrition, that is, the moisture (sweat) from your feet. One of the most common diseases associated with a problem such astoenail fungusit is onychomycosis, caused more frequently by dermatophyte fungi and much less by microsporia.
There are 5 types of nail plate onychomycosis lesions:
- Distal: coverage of the front part of the nail;
- Lateral: coverage of the lateral parts of the nail;
- Proximal: coverage of the back of the nail;
- Superficial - covers the nail with yellowish spots;
- Total: coverage of the nail plate as a whole;
All types of injuries have common visible symptoms such as discoloration, deformation, brittleness.
Fungal infection foci
If you regularly visit the gym, pool, spa or massage room, take good care of your personal hygiene, because in these places the fungal infection has all the conditions to spread. There is a high level of humidity and a moderate temperature, which serves as the best stimulant for the development of mycosis (bacteria that cause a fungal infection). You can get the fungus if you step into the shower or massage room without shoes.
It is also worth remembering that toenail fungus can be transmitted through direct contact with a user.
How does nail fungus develop?
- Wearing uncomfortable and tight shoes, as well as shoes made of synthetic materials that compress the foot and block air circulation. In such an environment, mycosis develops at a rapid rate;
- Gel polish (for women), which promotes the development of fungus between the nail plate and the applied varnish;
- Increased sweating of the feet;
- Nail defects or injuries;
- Slow nail growth;
- Violation of metabolic processes in the nail;
- Poor blood supply to the extremities;
- Immune system diseases;
- Harmful working conditions (dust, gas pollution, high humidity);
- Taking antibiotics, hormones;
To avoid infection, timely foot hygiene is needed, which is much easier to follow than treating an already neglected case. At an advanced stage, the fungus can spread not only to neighboring nails, but also to other bloody human organs, which can contribute to the development of a number of other diseases associated with a weakened immune system.
There are also categories of people who are more susceptible to this ailment than others, in view of concomitant diseases, namely:
- With diabetes mellitus (diabetic foot);
- Being overweight (obese);
- With cardiovascular disease (venous disease).
Signs of toenail fungus
So how can you recognize the fungus by the first signs, so as not to later penetrate the nail and prevent the spread of neighboring fingers to healthy nail plates?
There are a number of symptoms due to which you can recognize toenail fungus at an early stage:
- Yellowing of the nail plate;
- Slight deformation or modification (if the nail has been greatly deformed);
- Opening and fragility of the nail, revealing the nerve endings and soft tissues of the toes (with a light touch, it will bring pain and discomfort);
- unpleasant odor (associated with increased sweating).
Photo of nail fungus
Modern methods of treating toenail fungus.
If you find one of the above signs of the disease, you should not self-medicate. There are a lot of bloggers and traditional healers on the net who will gladly tell you what you need to apply to the affected area of the nail or leg, as well as what medicine to use so that everything disappears in a week. or two. Unfortunately, the process of treating fungal diseases is not as simple and fast as we would all like. It should be understood that even with a visible improvement in the general clinical picture, it is undesirable to stop treatment, as this is fraught with the fact that sooner or later a relapse may occur and you will have to start treatment again. And by choosing antifungal creams, sprays, gels on your own, you risk aggravating the situation or wasting money in vain without getting the desired effect. Only a specialist will be able to select effective drugs that will relieve you from infection after a full examination.
Modern medicine offers many treatments for fungi:
- Local treatment - treatment is carried out with conventional antifungal drugs, which in most cases lead only to a curative effect, but not to full recovery;
- Medical treatment - a complete cure is guaranteed, but side effects are not excluded, since the body suffers under the influence of antifungals and the toxicity of pulse therapy;
- Surgical intervention - this method is ineffective, because it does not always lead to a full recovery, since there is a high probability that a defective nail will grow back. Also, don't forget about the long recovery period;
- Laser treatment: laser treatment for nail fungus is less effective. Due to the fact that laser treatment is based on the use of a hot beam, after such heat treatment, the nail plates slow down their growth, and therefore the fungus is not blocked, but continues to spread. Laser fungal treatment is an ineffective method that is now practically not used;
What is the best way to treat nail fungus?
Since the main task and goal is to relieve the patient from nail fungus quickly, effectively, without discomfort and unpleasant consequences, we recommend the Photodynamic Therapy method.
This is the newest method of treating fungi, based on the use of photosensitizers, which provide the formation of oxygen in the cells of the fungus while completely destroying the foci of infection. Subsequently, the cells of the immune system (phagocytes) absorb and completely eliminate the dead fungal cells from the body.
When using light, all the fungal bacteria will die within minutes. It is also important to note that this therapy is an absolutely painless process with no side effects.
The photodynamic therapy method has a number of advantages that every patient will appreciate:
- Efficacy: a few sessions are enough to eliminate the focus of the infection. The number of procedures depends on the stage of development of the disease;
- Treatment without consequences: after sessions of photodynamic therapy, there are no scars, scratches, microcracks, redness or irritation on the skin;
- Lack of pain: during the session, you will not feel a slight tingling, constriction or any other unpleasant sensation;
- Completely replaces antibiotic treatment;
- Recommendations from leading international experts;
- The treatment process takes a minimum of time;
TOnail fungus treatmentIt was successful, entrust it to the professionals. We will accurately determine the stage of development of the disease, the condition of the skin and nail plate, and prescribe procedures using the most modern equipment with the use of effective drugs that level mycosis. In a couple of weeks you will not only forget about the itch, but you will be able to show off the perfect condition of your feet.
After the end of the course of treatment, it will be possible to carry out the procedure for the prosthesis of the nail plate. The plate prosthesis is the right decision if you need to restore the nail plate quickly, efficiently, accurately and return an unmatched appearance to the legs. In our clinic, this procedure is performed on modern equipment using effective drugs with antifungal and anti-inflammatory action, using gel and acrylic materials containing silver and platinum nanoparticles. The part of the nail plate that is partially lost (but if no more than 2/3 of the nail plate is lost) after treatment for a fungal infection or injury to the nail plate is a prosthesis .
We draw your attention to the fact that the procedure is carried out only in the absence of contraindications, before performing the prosthetic procedure, it is mandatory to treat (in the presence of a fungal and / or other infection) or prophylactic use of a course therapy using a complex of special antifungal and anti-infective drugs.
If you are facing such a delicate problem as a fungal infection, contact a specialized medical center, where experienced doctors will help you cure the disease.