One of the most common infectious diseases is toenail fungus. This pathology has a second name - onychomycosis. Its pathogens fall into three main categories: yeasts, molds, and dermatomycetes. Most often, the third group causes damage to the nail plate on the legs. There are many factors that affect the entry of foreign microorganisms under the nail. The fungal infection is classified according to the cause and the form of manifestation. So that it does not spoil your life for a long time, it is necessary to start treating it on time and correctly. Therapy includes special antifungal drugs (ointments, creams, tablets, medicinal solutions, varnishes). It is important to find out which remedies will be effective in your case, so that treatment is not useless.
Before starting to fight the fungus, it is necessary to establish the cause that triggered its development. Consider the main factors that affect the penetration of microorganisms deep into the nail:
- mechanical damage to the plate;
- contact with personal hygiene items from an infected person;
- increased sweating;
- wearing uncomfortable shoes;
- constant contact with chemical agents and degreasers that destroy the structure of the nail;
- ignoring the rules of personal hygiene;
- professions associated with high pollution, air humidity;
- a sharp deterioration of immunity.
Secondary reasons why toenail fungus can start to develop are:
- aging of the skin;
- violation of the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract;
- allergic reaction;
- insufficiency of the adrenal glands;
- hormonal disturbances (prolonged use of oral contraceptives, pregnancy);
- bad habits;
- Regular consumption of alcoholic beverages.
People with HIV, diabetes, obesity, and other diseases that negatively affect the body's defenses are at risk. Also, those who visit beauty salons who do not disinfect tools are susceptible to the development of such a nuisance. Saunas, baths, swimming pools and other places of mass gathering of people are a favorable habitat for fungal infection.
Keep in mind that drug treatment will not be sufficient if it does not initially eliminate the underlying cause that triggered the development of the fungus. Therefore, first of all, consult a mycologist. The doctor will order the necessary tests and exams.
The manifestations of each type of fungus are different. First, let's look at the main symptoms:
- at the initial stage, the structure of the nail plate is destroyed and its color changes;
- a sore nail comes out of the skin and soon falls off;
- there is dryness, itching, an unpleasant smell on the foot and toes;
- some areas of the skin are peeling;
- dysbiosis develops (the patient feels weak, drowsy, loses appetite).
The correct selection of the drug depends on the shape of the fungus. Consider the symptoms of each type of pathology.
|Dermatophyte (most common)||Epidermophyton, Trichophyton, Microsporum||Yellow and gray stripes form on the nail. Soon such formations are localized on the nails of the adjacent fingers. The second stage is characterized by the separation of the nail from the skin. The neglected form is dangerous, as the fungus spreads to the foot.|
|Yeast (women are more susceptible than men, since the main cause of this type is the regular use of detergents)||Candida||In the first stage, the cuticle is affected (it becomes inflamed, when pressed, pus is released). Also, the nail plate loses its density and changes color, becomes uneven and disappears in pieces. The fingers are swollen, the infected complains of pain.|
|Mold (easier to treat)||Mold||In the first stage, an excruciating itch appears in and around the nail. Then spots of different colors appear. Carelessly, the plaque completely changes color, dry skin on the feet appears, cracks and hurts.|
In addition, the fungus is classified according to the degree of development, which also determines the selection of individual treatment:
- The initial (normotrophic) form is characterized by a change in the tone of the plaque, the formation of spots on it.
- The second stage (hypertrophic) brings discomfort. It manifests itself in the form of deformation of the nail (brittleness, tuberosity).
- The third form (atrophic) involves complete atrophy of the plaque (detached from the bed). This stage is neglected, it is quite difficult to treat.
It is recommended to consult a doctor, since amateur performance can bring not only useless, but also negative results.
Are you suffering from such a dreaded problem as nail fungus? Are you tired of the itchiness and unpleasant smell of your feet? You have spent a lot of time and money, and an unpleasant disease still quickly affects your nails? This can be fixed! The selection of effective drugs is based on the analysis of a large amount of information and surveys of people who have already gone through an unpleasant stage in the fight against the fungus.
As noted above, it is of utmost importance to determine the type of pathogen and the stage of development of the pathology. An additional measure is to eliminate the probability of an allergic reaction of the body to the pills.
The treatment should not only be local, the impact from the inside is necessary, since the result of the incomplete treatment will be zero. To reduce the negative effect of the drug, you need to drink more fluids. Since such drugs are toxic, the first condition is a lean diet (excluding yeast-fermented dairy products, fatty foods). It is recommended to have a blood test every three months to keep your body in check.
Such funds are used in combination with tablets. Before using them, it is necessary to perform a procedure to clean the affected areas. For this:
- Wash your feet with an antibacterial product;
- Take a bath (dilute two tablets of antimicrobial agent in five liters of boiled water). The duration of the procedure is fifteen minutes;
- Remove the peeled nail particles and dry your feet.
After performing such a procedure, you can use the drug (several times a day).
Quickly eliminate itching, discomfort and unpleasant odors. Already after the first application, you can feel significant relief. Essential oils act as a complementary treatment. Prevention includes improving the immune system. To prevent the development of fungal nail infections, it is recommended to use personal hygiene products, wear slippers in saunas and swimming pools, wear comfortable shoes and keep your feet dry.
To cure toenail fungus, first consult a mycologist (preferably within the first two weeks). The use of drugs is a mandatory method of eliminating this disease. Remember that prompt treatment is the key to a quick and uncomplicated recovery.